As I am making a simpler regency outfit I needed a apron. In Sweden patterned aprons are common for many time periods, both striped and squares. And I happened to have a piece of thrifted linen fabric woven in white, unbleached and blue that seemed perfect.
Also check these pictures out, blue checked regency aprons in art.
I also wanted some pockets on the apron something that also can be found in the drawings from this time even if this one from France from 1824 is a tad bit late.
As my dress is not floor length but a practical working length the apron follows this, the apron is 93cm long and 87cm wide. And it is pleated at the sides with a smooth front.
The pockets are of a reasonable size, 23*16cm and I choose to put them under the pleating in the sides. This makes them “open up” a bit and are easy to use.
I decided after it was finished that I needed shoulder straps on it. I can easily see myself get really annoyed by the apron creeping down to my waist. Happily thin shoulder straps on aprons are not uncommon in this period. Just look at this apron from 1824 France.
I used a woven cotton ribbon as a tie. To make the waistband in the apron fabric and to have it extend a bit to the back before adding a woven cotton, linen or silk ribbon as tie is a common practise on Swedish aprons from 17 to 19th century.
I tie it of in the front as can be seen on many drawings from the time.
I love to guest play in historical periods where I don’t really belong. I love the challenge of blending in without knowing so much about the period.
Last autumn I was invited to a “Waterloo victory feast”, as regency is not at all my period I of course needed to make a whole new kit. I stole my 18th century shift to be a bit lazy, and machine sewed a pair of regency stays and also took my 18th century underskirt; but the dress is all new and all hand sewn.
As it was autumn I wanted to make a dress in wool, most extant dresses are in silk or cotton but there is a original Danish dress in wool. I also happened to have some yellow thin twill at home that was actually going to become a 14th century dress that felt like a good choice.
I draped the pattern on my self based on extant dresses and decided that the “drop front” dress was interesting and a good thing to start out with.
The bodice is lined in a thin linen fabric but not the sleeves. I tried to aim at a shape of a 1810-1815 dress.
I have always loved the regency style but have been put of by it being a bit off for my shape, my body shape is “better” for the 16th-18th century, but I might have to admit that I have been bitten by the regency bug. Fabric for a new dress is ordered and also a spencer is planned. A red wool spencer have been on my wish list for at least 10 years now, it is kind of stupid that I have not made one yet.